Monday, October 6, 2008

Mom's Banana Bread with a Gooey, Chocolate addition!!!

I love the combo of banana and chocolate. To make that combo complete...I would add peanut butter. I've been making my mom's banana bread now ever since I was married. I guess I just always had bananas that were going bad, so I needed to put them to use!?! I soon learned a secret that all of you probably already know, but this was great advice for me! If you don't have time to make your banana bread with your dead bananas, peel them and place in freezer ziploc and put them in the freezer. Then, when you are ready to make your banana bread you can thaw out your bananas and smash them right in the ziploc. Less mess, and you aren't wasting your bananas. I love banana bread on a crisp, fall day. It is even better with the chocolate chips! The chips make it taste more like a dessert and not a breakfast bread. I will confess, we did still eat this bread for breakfast! The chocolate chips didn't stop us!!! I love this banana bread recipe. My mom used to always make it for us, and now I make it for my family. The chocolate chip idea came from a good friend of mine. She returned a piece of my tupperware with a loaf of Banana Chocolate Chip bread. It was delicious. The chocolate chips just add so much chocolatey goodness to this healthy,(wink, wink) banana bread! I don't think I will ever make my mom's banana bread without chocolate chips again!!! No offense mom...I just love chocolate!
Mom's Banana Bread with Gooey Chocolate Chips

Spray bottom of 8" of 9" loaf pan. Makes one loaf. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter (softened)

Add & mix:
2 eggs

Add & beat for 30 seconds:
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3-4)
1/3 cup water

Stir in remaining:
1 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

Add secret ingredient & fold into batter:
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (fold in one cup and save 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top.)
Nuts are a yummy mix-in too!

Pour batter into pan sprayed only on the bottom. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the top of the bread. Cook 8" for 1 hour 15 minutes, and 9" for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Insert toothpick & if it comes out clean, it is done. Let it sit in pan for one hour or less, then move to wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Prudy said...

Oh yes-even better with chocolate! This looks delicious.

Jenny said...

Double YUM! I love everything about it!

Brindi said...

Hey girls! I finally made Aunt Daisy's Orange Juice Cake today in my silicone pan. It turned out beautifully - no sticking - but it was a little burned on the top. The cake tastes great! The next time I will take it out a little early. Thanks for the great recipes!

Jessica said...

I love your blog! What a good idea, I will be coming back for ideas of what to cook :)
~Jessica

Sara said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and this bread looks beyond fabulous! :)

Amy said...

This looks great! Thanks for checking out our blog. All of your food looks great!!

Ash said...

This recipe sounds great. I'm cooking it right now, however, got to the end and don't see a temp for the oven. Any advise?

Sara said...

Ash,

I am so sorry. I hope your bread turned out. I have edited the post. It bakes at 350 degrees. I was out of town for most of the day and didn't get to my email until late. Sorry.

Sara