Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie & Sweet Onion Pork Chops Freezer Meals

This week is a busy one! We're getting ready for the BIG Halloween party at my sister Sara's house! This party is huge! They give out awards for costumes, so everyone goes all out on making theirs look the best. And, we all try to keep what we're going to be a secret from everyone else. I will be spending a lot of time this week getting ours ready. I will give you a sneak peak at the bottom of this post. After the party I will show our full costumes. We're very excited. My freezer meals are coming in very handy this week. We've had 3 and I will share two with you in this post.

First, I love chicken pot pie. I should say, I love Marie Calendars' chicken pot pie. I never make it because it seems like a lot of work, but I found this recipe in Girlfriends on the Go (see my freezer meal post from 10/15). It's so easy and I couldn''t believe how good it was. My husband couldn't stop eating it and left a small sliver for me for tomorrow.

Easy Chicken Pot Pie
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1(16 oz.) bag of frozen mixed vegetables or 2 cups various veggies of you choice
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup milk or cream
1(double) ready-to-bake pie crust
seasonings to taste (I used oregano)

Mix together soup and milk until smooth. Stir in veggies. Add chicken and mix. If freezing, pour into a freezer bag. When ready to cook, thaw (mine was still a little frozen). Place one pie crust in a glass baking dish. Pour in veggie mixture. Cover with second pie crust. Cut 3-6 slices in top of crust. Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes. Top crust should be golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.



This next recipe is amazing! I was a little leary about it, but it was fantastic. I will definitely be making this one every month! The combination of the onions, French dressing, BBQ sauce and honey are perfect.


Sweet Onion Pork Chops
8 boneless pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup chooped sweet onion
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup French salad dressing
1/2 cup honey

Heat oil in large skillet and brown pork chops on both sides. In a small bowl combine sugar, onion, ketchup, BBQ sauce, dressing and honey. Stir well. Pour sauce over pork chops, then bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer, cover skillet and simmer for 12-14 minutes, or until meat is cooked through and tender. If freezing: cool completely. Place in freezer bags. Thaw in refrigerator over night. Heat skillet and add pork chops and sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 5-8 minutes, or until portk chops are heated through.


I was able to split this into two meals. It was so yummy. I served it with mashed potatoes and spaghetti squash. The sauce from the pork chops was great on the potatoes.

Here's your sneak peak at our costumes. My next post will be a scary halloween treat! Something you can take to a spooky halloween party!


6 comments:

Jenny said...

Great recipes! I love this time of year when chicken pot pie is so great to eat, absolute comfort food! Have a great night!

Natalie Que said...

Comfort Comfort Comfort! They look delicious! Both meals look like super tasty food you'd find at a great country diner, and I love country diners!

Prudy said...

Hey, I've got pot pie today too. The pork chop sauce really does sound amazing. I'll try it for sure. I'm planning on your waffles for breakfast this weekend.

Amy said...

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the costumes:)

Sara said...

Looks great Rach! Oh, how I wish I had some of your freezer meals right now. I'm still in suspense as to what you are dressing up as. We're excited!

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.