Friday, September 26, 2008

Muffins in the Morning!!!

We absolutely LOVE a good muffin for breakfast with some fruit on the side. I have 2 muffins for you today. They were so delicious. They both were packed with fresh flavor, with a healthy feeling after I ate more than my share! I like to make muffins once a week at my house. Both of these muffins were great and they both came from 2 of my favorite sites. We are finally done with our peaches. We canned some, made jam, dried some, and then had enough for a peach pie, and these yummy Whole Wheat Peach Muffins (pictured above). The recipe came from Smitten Kitchen. They are actually Whole Wheat Apple Muffins, but I used my peaches instead of apples. They were so yummy. I'm pretty sure you could change out the apples and use any fruit variation. My sister tried them with pears and said they were fantastic! Go here for the recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/whole-wheat-apple-muffins/ . The recipe made a lot. I made 12 regular size muffins and about 16 mini muffins. The mini's are perfect for the kids, and I loved just popping them in my mouth. I also loved the sprinkling of brown sugar on the top. It made for a great finishing touch, and I loved the sweet little crunch on the top. I'm excited to try them with the apples. If you still have some peaches left over and arent' sick of them yet, you've got to make these muffins. Try them with any fruit. Whatever you've got! You won't regret it! On to the second muffin...

I love blueberries! My boys love blueberries! My 2 year old couldn't keep his hands out of the blueberries while I was making these! I got this recipe from another favorite, The Sisters' Cafe. There is a fun story behind these muffins. Find the recipe and story here: http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2008/09/little-red-riding-hoods-blueberry-wheat.html . Little Red Riding Hoods Blueberry Wheat Muffins (pictured above), really are amazing! These tasted like a muffin you would get at Great Harvest, or Einstein's. They were so tasty! I loved the secret ingredient. It really added a nutty flavor to the muffins. They tasted so healthy and hearty! The batter was super thick, and it was hard to get the blueberries mixed in well. I used frozen blueberries. I wasn't so worried about mushing them, and they didn't make my batter all blue. I got 12 regular sized muffins and a mini loaf out of it. Go to the recipe and find out what Granny's secret ingredient is. It is shocking and perfect for these delectible breakfast muffins! Happy muffin eating!!!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

These look sooo yummy! I can't wait to try them. It was fun to see you the other day.

Annie said...

I made the peach cake last Sunday and boy howdy, was it well received! Thanks.

Prudy said...

LOVE muffins this time of year. Just made some pumpkin ones on Sat. and now I'm putting these ones on my list.

Jenny said...

Beautiful muffins! I can never resist a good homemade muffin, I bet these are fantastic!

Natalie Que said...

I love blueberries too! These look moist and delicious and again, lately I just can't resist the carbs!

Erin said...

Hey Sara, I'm so glad you liked the Little Red Riding Hood's Blueberry Wheat Muffins! It makes me happy to hear that you thought the secret ingredient was as surprising and perfect as I thought it was! :) The peach muffins look so good, too!
-Erin at The Sisters Cafe