Friday, September 19, 2008

Homemade Sloppy Joes ... step aside Manwich!!!

Growing up we had sloppy joes quite often with the Manwich sauce... in fact, when I first was married I bought a can of the sauce thinking that the meat was included. Opened it up for a quick dinner and to my dismay... our plans had to change. I was not an expert then, neither am I now, but I have learned a lot since then. One thing I have learned since then is to never buy Manwich again! This recipe for Sloppy Joe's is amazing! It is so saucy and full of flavor. I always get great reviews. However... I cannot take all of the credit because the recipe comes once again from my sister in-law, Tammy. She is an expert. I love the crunch that the veggies give to this sandwich. It is a perfect warm sandwich for a cool September day. I usually serve this with hamburger buns, but I have a new favorite on these soft deli rolls that I buy at Sam's Club. They are soft and delicious. They come in white or wheat and are both my favorite. If you are looking for a quick dinner, this is the one for you. The kids love it and gobble it. I love them with some chips and fruit on the side.

Sloppy Joe's

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 - 10 oz can Tomato Soup
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp Vinegar
1 Tbsp Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Brown your meat and cook veggies together in skillet over med-high heat. When meat is browned, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or longer to get all of the flavors to sink in, stirring occasionally. Serve on hamburger buns, hoagie boans, bread, whatever you have! Enjoy!

6 comments:

nicole said...

I haven't had a sloppy joe in a while. But I do love them. Maybe I will have to make sloppy joes this week. Thanks for the recipe.
www.testkitchenrecipes.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Looks good Sar! I've never thought of putting them on sandwich rolls! I think that makes it a little more appetizing. Great idea!

Jenny said...

Yum, I absolutely love sloppy joes. This looks like a great recipe!!

Natalie Que said...

I never had the urge to try manwich, and now I know why!

Aggie said...

Love love love Sloppy Joes! I admit, I have used Manwich many many times....its time to make a homemade version! Great recipe, thanks!

doublellm76 said...

I loved it and the kids are eating seconds!! Thanks